Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bringing Hope Back to the People

Reading Where There's A Will There's A Way really opened my eyes to a more optimistic point of view on our government. I have said before that the future of our government is in the hands of the people. From what I've seen, people are becoming less concerned with making changes in the world of politics and government, but knowing that some people are making the effort to vote gives me hope. Maybe this is only a small percent of the larger that could be voting, but at least it is something. I have covered up my pessimism by calling it "being realistic" while others like Ms. Kutch are being more optimistic and actually trying to make a small, and seemingly insignificant, change by voting when her biggest contribution to society is her hope. The idea of somebody still believing in democracy is hard today, in my opinion. So, if her hope for democracy's capability of helping the people is genuine, I believe people like her could make a difference in the government where it is really needed. I firmly believe that knowledge is power and knowing how our government works is one of the first steps in being an effective part in a democratic society. My hopes (being more positive than realistic) are that the American people are able to get smart and "change our conversation" as Ms. Kutch would say, in order to bring back the real meaning of being an American. Our country lacks patriotism, even from me at most times, and it is something our country direly needs.

No comments: